Lentils, wow!


Our dinner tonight was surprisingly delicious. I say 'surprisingly' because I cooked it and I have to admit, up until now I haven't been known as the greatest cook. I found this dahl recipe on thimble and it ended up being easy and delicious (my favourite combination). I added some fresh baby spinach underneath mine to give it some colour and ate it along with some naan bread. Yum.

Lentils are superfoods, let me tell ya. One serving (1/2 c. cooked) yields a magnificent 8 grams of fibre and 9 grams of protein with only 115 calories and zero fat. One serving also provides one fifth of your recommended daily intake of iron. They're very filling (thanks to all that fibre) and relatively pain free to cook. And they're cheap!


Recipe for Red Lentil Dahl (from here)
  • 1 cup orange lentils
  • 2 cups water
  • 1 large onion
  • 1 tsp curry powder
  • 1 tsp garam marsala (I didn't have this, I think it would have worked fine without it. Instead I used a 1/2 tsp of some tandoori paste we had on hand)
  • 1/2 tsp cayenne
  • 1/2 tsp ground pepper
  • 1 tsp salt
  • 2 cloves garlic, crushed
  • 1/2 cup shredded coconut
  • 1 cup yogurt (I only used 3/4 of a cup because that's all I had)
Simmer lentils in a covered pot in the water until well cooked. In a separate frying pan or wok, saute onion in oil until translucent. Add spices and coconut and cook for a few minutes more. Lower the temperature to minimum, and add cooked lentils and yogurt. Stir until well mixed and heated through (5-10 minutes).

I also spent the day making even more macarons. This time I made chocolate macaron with chocolate ganache filling. I found the recipe here and it was a breeze to make. I'm a little dissatisfied with the little tips on top of my macarons, but the batter was a bit thicker than usual today. They still taste great!

These are definitely decadent. Unlike lentils, they are not super for anyone watching their caloric intake.

Here's the recipe for the filling:
  • 1/2 cup whipping cream
  • 5 oz bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped (I used about a cup of semi-sweet mini chocolate chips)
  • 1/2 cup (4oz) unsalted butter, diced
Bring the cream just to a boil in a medium saucepan (or in the microwave). Remove the pan from the heat. Add the chocolate and butter and whisk until smooth. Let cool to room temperature, then refrigerate covered, for at least 30 minutes, or until the filling is firm enough to hold its shape when spread.


Tomorrow I'm off to my parents on Vancouver Island, after a shopping trip with my good friend to Superstore to pick up some (hopefully) new jeans. I'm hoping to buy some nuts and use my mom's food processor to make my own almond meal (to save some money during my macaron making endeavours).

Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive