Weigh-In Wednesday

Well well well. It was a surprising week. In the past 12 weeks my losses have been between 0.5-2.5lbs never more, never less. This week I thought for sure it'd be on the lesser end because I didn't work-out for three days and ate pretty much whatever I felt as I was on a trip to the Okanagan. But surprise! I clearly have boosted my metabolism from working out so much and I lost 4lbs! What makes this news evening more exciting is that I now weigh 199.4lbs, under 200. Woohoo and such!

For the past couple weeks I've been experimenting with the amount I work-out and the amount I eat. Technically weight-watchers suggests I should be eating 26 points (about 1300 cal) per day. Weight-watchers also offers activity points which are calculated on the amount you exercise as well as "flex points" which act as about 30 extra points (or 1500 cal) to be used however and whenever during the week. I haven't included either activity or flex points into my calorie-consumption because I felt like it was redundant to burn off the calories just to eat them right back.

However because I find myself working out at a high intensity about 6 to 7 hours a week that I can eat significantly more and still lose weight. For the past two weeks I've consumed between 30 and 50 points (1500 - 2500 cal) per day, exercising for an hour each day. I find this works best for me as I really do like to eat and I do like to exercise! Keep in mind that I do write down everything that I eat along with the amount of calories so I can keep myself in check and still have a good understanding of what I consume. Also the food that I eat is still reasonably healthy. I try to load any meal up with vegetables. I start almost everyday with a spinach smoothie (1 banana, half cup unsweetened almond milk, 1 cup spinach and ice). I find this smoothie starts me off "healthy" for the day, as I am less-inclined to indulge on foods high in sugar and carbohydrates as the day progresses.

I also thought I'd share one of my favourite dinners with you.


Shrimp Caesar Salad (with homemade dressing and croutons)

We use this recipe for low-fat caesar dressing from here:
• 1/4 cup fat-free mayonnaise

• 1/4 cup water

• 2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice

• 1/2 teaspoon anchovy paste (you can buy this at the grocery store, its pretty cheap)

• 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
• 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper

• 1/8 teaspoon dry mustard (we use just a bit of whatever regular mustard we have)
• 2 garlic cloves, minced

(B usually does 1/8 c. regular mayo and 1/8 c. fat-free as a compromise)

I then chop up some romaine lettuce (a lot of it) and some green onions. We buy pre-cooked frozen salad shrimp which are easy to defrost (just run under cold water in a strainer). We make croutons in a frying pan with 1 tbsp. olive oil and seasoning salt with whatever bread we have on hand (last night we used foccacia, yum!). Mix it altogether and toss on some asiago cheese and you've got a well-rounded, satisfying dinner in 10 minutes max.


Popular Posts

My Blog List

Blog Archive